Raw Broccoli - 875 mL (3.5 cups)
Old Cheddar ~ 150 g (1/2 to 1 cup grated)
Whole Milk - 375 mL (1.5 cups)
Broccoli Water - 850 mL
Flour - 2-3 tablespoons
Butter - 2-3 tablespoons
Zest of one lemon
Salt and pepper - To taste
1. Blanch Broccoli until tender. Careful not to overcook as color can change and become less vibrant green. Reserve water from blanching (Broccoli water)
2. Meanwhile create a roux by melting equal parts butter and flour together in a large stockpot. When the roux has reached a nice thick consistency and lightly brown, add the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
3. Gradually, 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time, add whole milk to roux and whisk briskly to take out lumps. Most lumps will melt out as the roux heats.
4. Blend Broccoli and Broccoli water together in Vitamix or blender then whisk into roux mixture
5. Stir in grated cheese to finish; optional to blend again with immersion blender for an extra-smooth consistency.